Thursday, January 31, 2008

The physical effects of grief

I never realized that grief affected people in such a physical way. Of course, I realized that people cry a lot. But I never knew that the stress of grief magnified any existing conditions. I haven't been infected with bacteria or virus, and yet my physical body suffers because of what my mind is going through. I feel nauseas. My eyes burn. My asthma is worse. By far the worst is my hypoglycemia. I'm awake in the middle of the night shaky and unable to get back to sleep until I eat something. I have to keep stopping to eat all day, just to stay level. And because I'm so distracted and fuzzy, I often forget that I'm supposed to pay attention to my body signals, and I forget to eat. It takes awhile to recover from these scary lows. At a time when I need all my inner strength, I have no reserves emotionally or physically. Seems unfair.

No comments: