Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Times They are a Changin'

I like to embrace change. Change is good. But when the change happens in friendships, I find myself eating Cookies and Cream ice cream straight from the carton, followed by Toll House cookies by the handful. Some changes are not all good.

A couple that Jim and I would count as some of our closest friends is moving. Far away. We've been friends for 20 years. We've camped together, seen our kids grow up together, prayed together and laughed and cried together. Their middle child and our last child are close friends. And they are moving. Another layer to this is that he's my minister. He officiated at Matt and Brenna's wedding. If you don't go to church, you may not understand this part, but a minister has a huge impact on his congregates' lives He is the person who gives wise teaching, who is there to to pray, counsel, listen and care in every crisis, and a person who guides us to continually live at a higher, spiritual level. It sort of leaves a hole when ministers change jobs, because they aren't just a project manager or something. They're family. The move is good for them, and I believe they are making the right decision. They feel called by God, and since he is a minister, they should probably listen to that call. But I'm heartbroken because I'm self-centered, and I can't see how this will make MY life better.

My school staff is also family, and part of that family is changing, too. Our counselor has the nerve to be retiring!!! This wonderful lady does not consider her work to be only supporting the students, but also caring for the quirky, but lovable staff at my school. The counselor takes this part of the job seriously and does it well. Many, many times I've been in her office crying. She's listened to me, and given me good direction. She's just a good person to turn to for comfort. She has excellent ideas about how to handle different situations-both school-related and otherwise. She's been through so much herself that she speaks from experience. The kids and staff alike adore her because they know she cares. She makes us all better people. She's not moving away, but her house will be too far to walk to when I need comfort and counsel at school. I will miss her daily.

The last change is especially sad. Some friends of ours are having marriage issues. They are both great people. Amazing people. Loving, compassionate, caring, funny, spiritual people. They are both hurting, and there's little Jim and I can do but listen and hope for healing. When our friends hurt, we hurt, and it's no fun to see them like this. We love both of them. We are praying for a miracle.

Meanwhile I pray. And eat too much sugar. In setting my heart on the things above, I find comfort. It's not about me. Peace comes in waves as I adjust to the changes.





No comments: