Friday, March 13, 2009

Is it Possible to be TOO Nice?

When I got to the hospital yesterday, Dad's face was screwed up in pain. "What's wrong?" I asked. "I have a pain like a knife in  my side." So I called the nurse. She asked him what the pain felt like. "It's like a little stitch in my side." He gave the impression that it was like a minor cramp that you get sometimes when you run. The nurse went to get pain medicine. "Why didn't you tell them how much it really hurt?" I asked him. "Oh, I hate to be a burden to them." He wants to win the award for best patient, but doesn't realize there's no one even competing with him!! I went home and cried for an hour because he looked so terrible. When I went back the medicine had worked its magic, and he was in great spirits and had all but forgotten the pain. Today when I visited, he was obviously in pain again. "Is it your side again?" "Yes." "Did you ask for something for the pain?" "No." "Why not?" "Well, it really only hurts when I breathe." 

No comments: