Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Desiring to be a Servant Leader

I was talking to a friend of mine who has recently returned from a trip. He said one of the best things about it was that he didn’t have to manage a team, so that made it easier to focus on his hosts. When you go as a team leader you have your ministry, and also all the managing of the team schedule, feelings, and group dynamics. I realize that in a cross-cultural setting, if someone has “baggage” (and I’m not talking luggage here), the stress of being in a foreign country presses it out. I have a fabulous team. I love each member, and we’ve bonded well already. But I do know that in every team there’s a honeymoon period, and then there’s the inevitable conflict. We are human sinners. And when you are tired, eating different food, dealing with a different language, and removed from the comforts of home, sometimes it’s hard to be your best self. By God's grace, I want to be a great team leader. Pray that I’m up to the challenge.

No comments: