Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Get by with a Little Help from my Friends

The weird thing about going through a tough time is that there are all these wonderful, kind, heart-warming things that happen, and they ease the pain, but don't erase it. If people were this kind to me when nothing was wrong, I would feel guilty and not enjoy them then, either, but I wish that I could experience the joy without the overlaying of sadness. And the kindnesses come from all kinds of places. Everyone seems to want to help. For instance, I have a good friend who moved away when our kids were little. We will be friends forever and can pick it right back up even after not seeing each other for awhile. She became a librarian after she moved. Now, it's hard to picture her as a librarian, because although she's fabulous at her job, she doesn't strike me as one of those "rules-follower" type. And maybe that's why she's good at what she does. I called her to ask if she thought I was being unreasonable to call the librarian in my city and ask them to pick some books out for my dad. I had time to run in and pick up books, but not really time to browse. I had a list of authors. She assured me it was fine. So I called our library, which is open about four hours a day. Sigh. The librarian was much snarkier than my friend and in a chilly voice said "OK." I was as if she MIGHT have a few minutes that she could lower herself to do that. "What's your library card number?" Oh, shoot. My library card is in the Honda, which was stolen in another city. "I don't really have one with me." She reacted as if I had just left my most valuable possession in the hands of drug dealers. "Well, I'll have to break the rules. I'll set these aside with my number and you can bring your card when you pick them up." I didn't have the heart to tell her I wouldn't be getting a card any time soon. Fortunately, my friend from Turkey was at the gym right down the street, and SHE HAS A CARD!! So she picks up the books, and gets ten books for my dad. Seven of which he hadn't read. There are all kinds of things that are beyond my control, but because I have friends sprinkled through my life to rescue me and encourage me, I think I'm going to make it through.  My friend KW gives me hugs and listens to me. My friend KA leaves me puns, candy, sweet notes, little cards and books on my desk. My friend RP has wise words and has been through it so much that she knows and really understands what I'm going through. Having Jim home is good. 

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm sorry your librarian was snarky. At my library, we can look up your account even if you don't have your card. We have rules, but I am not always very good at following them. Great Customer Service is what I try to do!
love,
your librarian friend